ReLEx Smile Lasik is the latest laser assisted myopic correction procedure. In this procedure the lenticule in the cornea is carved out using a femtosecond laser. The lenticule is then removed by making a small incision. However, in conventional Lasik, a flap is created by femtosecond laser incision. The flap is then lifted and corneal reshaping is conducted using an excimer laser. Finally, the flap is replaced.
Are you right for ReLEx Smile?
* Most candidates with short sightedness with thinner cornea and extreme dryness are suited for ReLEx Smile. Post Smile procedure there is no evidence that proves the claim of stronger cornea. The procedure is not free from redundancy of the corneal cup over the carved out stromal tissue. The cup therefore falls short in increasing the strength of the cornea.
* There are higher chances of ectasia when the stromal residue is not bigger than 250 microns. The procedure is also ineffective for those who suffer from forme fruste keratoconus eyes.
* Smile procedure is ineffective in treating ametropia less than -0.50 OD.
* With Lasik corneal wavefront or guided wavefront of the entire eye can be successfully achieved. Smile procedure does not offer the same.
* For astigmatism correction, it is important for the presence of dynamic and static cyclotorsion control, which is not offered by Smile. Smile corrects minor astigmatism by basic toric lenticular incision and extraction. Lasik, on the other hand can correct high astigmatism by increasing the optical zone via varied ablation and bitoric patterns.
* Hyperopia of up to +4D is corrected successfully only via Lasik. Smile is restricted to treat mild astigmatism and shortsightedness only.
* If the patient is over 45, Lasik may be a better option than Smile. Smile is ideal for those who have an active lifestyle.
* Presbyopia, a condition which results in long sightedness caused by degeneration of lens elasticity seen usually in middle aged people, is not rectified by ReLEX Smile Lasik. In such cases Lasik is far more effective.
* Hypermetropia is also not corrected by Smile.
In conclusion, all those who are suited for Lasik can undergo ReLEX Smile. There are a few exceptions though- positive vision, presbyopis and correction of high astigmatism treated only by Lasik as the cure of the same require a flap creation. Only those who are active outdoors like swimmers and professional scuba instructors can opt for Smile as the recovery time is much shorter.
Are you the right candidate for ReLEx Smile? Find out more